YBNBY Logo

ornate line
Welcome to the YesButForum
user-pic

Feature requests

As I start to work on upgrades to YBNBY, there's the opportunity to make some changes across the board, including things like rating of content, adding instant messenger, etc. But rather than spend countless hours implementing changes no-one wants or cares about. I thought I'd throw it open to everyone. What kind of stuff can we add to a) make the site cooler and b) build on the great community that sprang up in the last few months.

30 Replies

I think it's fine for a start. Just a plain text space for us to roll around in our countless off tangent comments.
Maybe when we start to use it a lot we'll find use for some other features, but in my opinion, for now it's just fine.

Thanks for the space!

said Leonardo Carvalho on August 25, 2008 9:06 PM.

I just added a sidebar on the main page that shows the latest posts here, so we'll see how that goes.

said Scaramouch on August 25, 2008 9:20 PM.

I'm with LC, as of now this place is great. What I thought was missing was a place where we regulars could post and share things not mentioned on the main area and now we have it .

The forum will come in handy for wold domination too.

said etantao on August 25, 2008 10:33 PM.

I saw the side bar. Very useful, helps us to keep tracking our threads in here too.

said Leonardo Carvalho on August 25, 2008 10:50 PM.

I would like American Flag backgrounds. I would also like some sort of "vote for Dave" Tag on each page. I would like a famous quote from someone like Swartzkoff posted each day. Like:"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordian." Ya know something full of testosterone.
I'm easy, that's all I want.
Thanks Mouche'
Love Dave

said Dave on August 26, 2008 8:47 AM.

I don't know what I think about all of this. Part of the fun of going off on tangents was seeing how one topic could lead to something absolutely off the wall.
The photo thing, I don't know, It kind of takes away from the imagination thing.
I mean, here I am giving advise as the sexiest YBNBY reader, and my picture is right next to it. That could be bad for business. I mean someone could look at it and say, yeah right, sexiest my ass.
Ah, who am I kidding, I'm still the sexiest.
However, I still argue that the imagination made it much more interesting.
Am I alone on this.

I mean here I imagined Leo with 666 tatooed on his forehead, 24" biceps, and a tatoo across his chest that says I hate Argentina. I didn't expect him to be normal..

I don't know, I guess this will all have to take some getting used to.

Number 1 hated it so much she took off.

I don't know if change is always that good?

said Dave on August 26, 2008 12:28 PM.

I didn't take off Dave. I had to prop a couple of folks in the corner last weekend, and needed some rest.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 26, 2008 4:53 PM.

Good to hear you were just propin' a few people.

said Dave on August 26, 2008 5:11 PM.

Scaramouch - can you give us a link that takes us back to the main YBNBY page from the forum?

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 27, 2008 9:41 AM.

Yeh, I plan on doing that when I apply the YBNBY design over here, but want to make sure it's working properly first. Can some of you try creating new topics, so I can see what happens when someone who's registered tries to start their own story? I am not sure if it will just publish or be held for approval. (Hopefully the former)

said Scaramouch on August 27, 2008 9:52 AM.

Just tried to start a post, and it said my permission was denied.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 27, 2008 2:28 PM.

Inside I'm just like you thought... specially the I hate Argentinians tattoo.

I'm into using the immagination too. But what came as a surprise to me is that I've immagined you and CLC almost like you really are. Only that CLC had curly hair in my thoughts.

said Leonardo Carvalho on August 27, 2008 4:30 PM.

But wasn't Leonardo able to create a new topic?

There should also be a link from here to the main page.

said etantao on August 27, 2008 9:28 PM.

OK, first, do we have to sign in again in order to post on the forum? That seems a pain ... and will definitely hinder moving conversations from the comments section to the forum. If we have to sign in EVERY time we post in the forum, that will kill the idea altogether. Everything else so far; bravo.

Dave - I tend to agree with you about the pics. To me, they can be obtained via the webpage link if someone wants to know more about another member. Personally, I'd like to be able to post an icon pic with every comment made ... sort of like tailoring the pic to the comment made. Some of us have quite an extensive library of pics to use. For example, I might attach a 'Thread Hijacked' pic when I know that a comment I am making is off-topic. Of course, this might require YBNBY to have a thousand-gazillion metabytes of storage, but one can dream.

I have many other ideas I'll post later.

said Tim on August 27, 2008 9:44 PM.

I hate having my ugly mug up there.

said Tim on August 27, 2008 9:52 PM.

I just tried to create a topic and it said that I 'must first register in order to create a topic'.

said Tim on August 27, 2008 9:55 PM.

Well, you do have to sign in to post to the forum, but you have to sign in to post to any messageboard. You don't have to register twice - one registration covers both sites. But as you flip from one to another, there are different cookies governing your sign in state. There's no way around that whatever system I use.

I'm not sure what's happening to stop people creating topics. I guess I should create a new account and test it myself.

Thanks for bearing with me in this alpha phase and for all the feedback.. This is why I haven't linked it yet to the main site, want to make sure it works seamlessly first

said Scaramouch on August 27, 2008 11:16 PM.

Actually, I've noticed that things seem to post fine even if I don't sign in.

Maybe I'm confused ... are the fields for entering your name, e-mail address and URL (above where I post this reply) for sign in, or just general purpose information? I assumed that they were sign in, and required, but everything seems to work fine even if I ignore them.

said Tim on August 28, 2008 7:52 AM.

No, those fields are for people not registered. I haven't written the javascript yet to hide them once you are signed in (like on YBNBY)

said Scaramouch on August 28, 2008 7:56 AM.

When I came to post it was asking me to sign in and as I clicked it just retrieved the cookie and I didn't need to enter all the data. Better like this.

And the fields were gone when i clicked the sign in link.

said Leonardo Carvalho on August 28, 2008 8:16 AM.

Ahh, good, I got that part working then. The only thing left to do is to get it to recognize the 'signed in" cookie from YBNBY, and if you've signed in over there, you won't need to resign in over here :)

said Scaramouch on August 28, 2008 9:23 AM.

That's minor. I was just concerned that we would have to sign in every time we wanted to post anything. That could get tedious. Signing in once is no big deal, (but no extra sign in at all is better).

By the by, have you noticed that when replying to a post here, the left margin of the posts above the reply template gets messed up and the picture overlaps the comments?

said Tim on August 28, 2008 10:57 AM.

I'm not seeing that - what browser and operating system are you using, Tim?

said Scaramouch on August 28, 2008 11:00 AM.

I'm running Windows XP and IE 7.0.

BUT ... I can't seem to make it happen anymore. I'll keep trying to break it and let you know how I did it.

said Tim on August 28, 2008 12:58 PM.

OK, I was able to duplicate it. It happens when the reply to a post and the message is long enough so that it starts to wrap in the edit form. Once the wrap occurs, and the scroll bar appears on the right, the whole page shifts and the overlap occurs.

said Tim on August 28, 2008 1:01 PM.

Pefect - thanks Tim. That's a stylesheet error, which I'll fix when I update the look and feel of the forum to the new design. It's an IE only bug, so I would also recommend you think about upgrading to Firefox at some point :)

said Scaramouch on August 28, 2008 1:16 PM.

Clicking on a topic header, for example 'Feature Requests' above, takes me to Archives. Is that correct?

said Tim on August 29, 2008 5:50 PM.

No, that's incorrect. Upgrades and redesign coming over the weekend.

said Scaramouch on August 29, 2008 5:52 PM.

Scara seems the forum has you busier (sp?) than a altar boy at the vatican

said etantao on August 29, 2008 7:02 PM.

Hopefully working on the forum hurts the ol' bum a bit less and isn't so sticky...

said Sheriff Pablo on September 18, 2008 4:34 PM.

Add a Reply

The
greatest
pop culture
blog on the
planet.

Or
maybe not.

New to YesButNoButYes?

YesButMailbag