YBNBY Logo

ornate line
Welcome to the YesButForum
user-pic

this year's election

yeah, I know--we've covered it over and over.

but I don't think we have asked this question yet:

Whose vote are YOU canceling out this year? It can be at the presidential level, gubernatorial, congressional....or dogcatcher. But you know that there is someone close to you who is in disagreement with you.

22 Replies

I don't even know if i'm gonna vote this year. Neither one of these douchebags is a decent candidate.

It's a stupid game and i don't wanna play.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 7, 2008 8:07 AM.

I'm really sorry you feel that way Pablo. Are you saying there is not one issue... Iraq, guns, taxes, privacy, nation debt, world opinion, etc. that you care about? I know it sounds cliche, but voting is a damn powerful right, and if you chose not to use it, you have no right to complain later. (and isn't complaining half the fun?)

I've heard there are people who are undecided, but I just can't imagine who these people are.

said Brother Bill on October 7, 2008 8:35 AM.

I am the only registered voter in my household. I'll be glad to cancel out one of the 6,000 or so votes in my town that will go to McCain. This area is very heavily republican from way back.

In amongst the many McCain/Palin yard signs, I saw one (on a public space) that said "Democrats for McCain" What? Why don't you just go ahead and put up a KKK sign?!

said Miss Cellania on October 7, 2008 9:21 AM.

Bill, I have to agree with you. It's everyone's duty to cast a vote, even if it's against the person you disagree with most. Even though both candidates seem to water down their opinions to appeal to the masses, it's still pretty easy to see who leans to the left and who leans to the right here. It goes beyond personalities or candidates, you need to vote for an ideology, or things will never change.

said Scaramouch on October 7, 2008 9:24 AM.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who isn't voting, or is still undecided - what specifically did you want to hear that you haven't? What single thing or change would it need to make you vote?

said Scaramouch on October 7, 2008 9:26 AM.

I won't be voting for a Maverick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjzwL1vQEk

This year I'll be canceling out all the people in my neighborhood voting for the green party candidate or Nader. I'll also be canceling out at least a few people on Staten Island.
Vote early & Often!

said Baierman on October 7, 2008 10:29 AM.

I plan to vote. I've voted every year since i was 18. Not only do i like beinbg able to have my say one way or the other but i feel obligated to vote. I have a huge amount of respect for all the Americans who have given their lives and to those who continue to do so, so i can have my say.

That being said, I was undecided until the VP debate when Biden said it was our fault for global warning and climate change and that it was one of the major differences between Democrats and Republicans. I haven't seen one Democrat come out and say how wrong Biden was on that issue. I mean really, where were the humans when the climate changed 100's of times over the planets short life span in the Universe? Did man have effect on the climate during the last ice age?

Too me, that trumps all other stupid in the race. It even trumps Palins dumbass remark about living close to Russia.

I'm voting Republican at this time.

said phatlard on October 7, 2008 12:50 PM.

SP, I respect your right to not vote...that's one of those great things about being an American (because there are many democracies where you are REQUIRED to vote). But I just want to point out one thing (at the risk of sounding like a mommy/snooty knowitall)--if you don't vote, you are canceling your own vote out. (think of the Jessica Alba duct tape voting campaign)

I look at it like this--if I was at work and they told me I got a say in who my next boss would be, I would speak up (yeah, I tend to do that, don't I?). My choice might not win, but if I didn't say anything I'd be kicking myself for the next 4 years.

If you choose not to vote, just don't tell us--because you know that BB and I will jump on your case if you complain about our new fearless leader!!!

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 7:40 PM.

Miss C, I feel your pain. I'm surrounded by "Southern Democrats" which translates to "democrats who voted for Helms"...but the political climate is changing around here--so I'm optimistic...

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 7:43 PM.

PL, I'm just going to clarify the issue for you. I agree that man did not cause global warming, because science has proven that we have had drastic climate changes for thousands of years.
However, I do believe that we have sped this cycle up a bit (after seeing what the usual time pattern is in several of my classes, none taught by the same professors of with the same materials) with all of the things we have churned into the atmosphere as an industrialized world (I did my part in the 80s with AquaNet, so I'm sending out my apology now).

The environmental changes are an issue for me, but not because I'm a singing, crying treehugger. It's because I've read about the possible chaos that might occur if the ocean levels do rise. There are many areas that they predict will flood, while others will be more arid than ever (or unfarmable after exposure to salt water). What this means is that resources (food, clean water, basic things that we take for granted) will be more scarce. The scarcity could push people to immigrate to areas where they will not be welcomed, and we could see more war/civil unrest than we could handle.

The possible situation would make the current economic scariness look like nothing.

This is all conjecture (promoted by the liberal media, I'm sure)...but so was the idea that the US was headed for a recession...so to me, it doesn't matter what is causing it, but what will be done to make sure that it doesn't go worst case scenario on us.

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 7:54 PM.

(or with the same materials)

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 7:55 PM.

Oh hell, Okay. Obama. And i'll tell you why. Personally i think McCain is slightly better for the job. But i seiously don't think he could survive for a whole term without having a heart attack/stroke/natural causes related case of Terminal Death (That's a medical term). And the thought of Palin actually being president Terrifies the ever loving Shit out of me. So Obama, He's young, he's healthy, and he shouldn't fuck up too badly.

Plus he wants to bring the troops home. An issue near and dear to my heart. Whatever brings my friends and family back from that shithole in the middle east sooner.

I am Senor Pablo and i approve this message.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 7, 2008 8:28 PM.

Scaramouch,

Honestly I Wish that voting for bob barr wouldn't be a waste of my vote. The guy makes some damn good points. But see above for my response.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 7, 2008 8:31 PM.

Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst. There are no bad consequences for cleaning up the environment.

The chances that the hippies/al gore/greenpeace crowd is right are slim, but IF it happens, we should be prepared.

Nothing is worse than doing nothing.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 7, 2008 8:35 PM.

First, I'm going to vote Republican in Kentucky so that I can cancel out Miss C's vote. Then, I'm going to drive up to Chicago and keep voting until the precincts close so as to cancel out all the rest of you.

My goal: A tie; and then a do-over of the whole thing. By then ...

- hunting season will be over and Dave will be back
- CLC will have more experience in dealing with public discord
- Leo's immigration paperwork will be complete
- Basketball season will start and JW will have nothing to do
- Sarcky will realize that she only has 6 YBNBY friends left
- Senor Pablo will finally reach the 'mad as hell, and not going to take it anymore' threshold
- and I will be inspired enough to assemble the team and get it on the next ballot

P.S. I'm not kidding.

said Tim on October 7, 2008 11:02 PM.

I have YBNBY friends? Wow!!!! That wish I made on the birthday candles really paid off!!!

said sarcastic one on October 8, 2008 12:11 AM.

So what you're saying is, we can blame you for the horror that faces this planet SO?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's really good to know that we'll be able to control the natural cycle of the planet. Please, feel free to stop the rising lvls of the sea any time ya want.

If you're not using Aqua Net any more, what method are you using now? Please say it isn't the "something about mary" method.

I'd also like to take this time to say i've done my part to save the planet as well. I'm down to killing only 2 trees a day now.

said phatlard on October 8, 2008 3:59 AM.

You can blame me for the damage I caused in the 80s....back when I had big hair...
Not using the Mary Method---but thanks for the idea!

said sarcastic one on October 8, 2008 6:22 PM.

Geez, that makes three of us from Kentucky.

I'm voting Democrat, so I'll cancel your cancel. The cool thing is we actually might get rid of that O2 thief McConnell.

said Brother Bill on October 8, 2008 10:30 PM.

Maybe JW can root for a great college basketball team....have any ideas?

said sarcastic one on October 8, 2008 10:52 PM.

Don't count on it.

said Miss Cellania on October 9, 2008 1:52 PM.

Agree Miss C. I'll save everyone the local politics, but I don't think many people trust Mr. Illtakeanyofficeavailableforpurchase.com

said Tim on October 9, 2008 5:53 PM.

Add a Reply

The
greatest
pop culture
blog on the
planet.

Or
maybe not.

New to YesButNoButYes?

YesButMailbag